Saturday, June 9, 2012

3-Ply Racial Issues

I’m so weirded out by racial issues in this country. It’s like Actual separation. After a lifetime of stories about segregation I feel confused and uncomfortable by the system that is unofficially in place, which seems to make everyone else more comfortable.

My colleagues and I are currently on a work-trip, staying at the most of snazzy hotels Moduk Royal Hotel, Pepease in the middle of frikken nowhere. We are doing research in the middle of nowhere, a rural setting : Birim North, New Abiram, Eastern Region, Ghana. (hope that clarifies everything!) However, our hotel is a mere one hour from the rural setting in question, which makes it extra-rural. Its all lovely however, although it does seem to be taking a while for my colleagues to warm up to me, and some of the other newbies. This should be a good bonding experience however. This being said, I am beginning to question the interpretation of bonding in Ghana. In my house here, we (the foreign volunteer types) eat by ourselves, we have still not discovered when our Director eats, or the woman who cooks for us (although we did manage to go out for ice cream and an adventure with her). But I had thought that that was just awkward program management avoidance of interpersonal relations with program interns or something….But something is amiss. There seems to be the biggest of divides between ‘obruni’s’ i.e white people in Ghana, or non-Ghanaians and the actual Ghanaians. Not only do we seem to go off for lunch to different places, but we also seem to eat separately when we are in the same restaurant!  And considering that I get unfriendly un-embracive vibes from some of the obruni’s, i.e the Australian interns, I was excitied to get to know the Ghanain staff on this trip (as I don’t see them much in the office because most of them are in the long-term office, not the intern office). But not only was the room-pairing done seemingly according to quasy-racial classification, but the Ghanains always sit on one section of the bus and the Obrunis on the other. And then at lunch today, the obruni’s sat outside, and ate with spoons, whilst the Ghanains sat inside and ate in the normal manner, with bare fingers, right hand. Me and my South African found the only space to be outside with the obruni’s, but we ate with our fingers. South Africans hey, always stuck somewhere in the middle. But it was then I learned that I couldn’t really live here. The divide is too great. There is no antagonism, no hostility, only friendliness and politeness between both sides of the divide. There is no superiority/ inferiority, no ambivalence but the difference between the people, is somehow there. Visible only on the surface, as it is only skin-deep, but after 3 weeks of being smiled at, waved at, pointed at, because I am white (it doesn’t seem to matter where I come from, not the slightest bit) I figured that in a country where race is so out there, I cannot truly be. Because it is impossible to be accepted as part of a community if you are always going to be seen as different. Not just foreign, not even strange, not rude, or sweet, or attractive, or not, but something out of the ordinary, something that is a temporary attraction, that can not belong.




Day 3 of the trip. Actually, the day after this previous post. We went out in the town for din-dins, on the street. After a lovely spree, finding weird and wonderful street food and engaging in a well needed intense discussion, we returned to the bus-area. There I saw the Ghanaians going onto the bus, although many of the obruni’s remained near the food stalls, making party-plans and other such jovial activities. I boarded the stationary bus, after the Ghanaians. My mission for the day was to befriend my colleagues, and I had been trying with the Ausies unsuccessfully for days. The lone Canadian and the Dutchman have both responded well, but the Ausies, not so much. And this time I had some questions for my Ghanaian colleagues. After fantastically easy chit chat (I’m noting this because for some reason it previously had not been easy… All chit-chat with any of my colleagues, seems to require intense amount of effort, misunderstanding and lost humour.) The funny thing was that it started as a gossipsession about my Director!!( As he had gone to school with the friendlier of the two Ghanaian ladies).  When the other Obrunie’s came back from their extended dinner, with plans to go out on the town and party it up, the locals declined and planned to stay in the bus. After I demanded a reason they urged me to go party too, but I resisted the urge to feel unwelcomed and continued to engage in conversation with them. And eventually, as happens with me, the conversation turned in the direction I wanted it… The separation issues. Here are the fascinating points of the discussion:

·         They are well aware of the separation

·         Definite Them and Us complex, enough to make light hearted jokes about it

·         Feel it’s a result of the language barrier

·         i.e they separate themselves so that they can talk vanac (which would be Twi here) without making anyone feel like they’re being gossiped about or left out or something

·         its more comfortable ofcourse to be with ‘ones own people’ and talk ones own language

·         With the back of the bus thing, its because the other people started it; they’de put their bags on the seats and thus there were no empty seats at the beginning

·         Apparently the reason I can get it, and also the girl I’m rooming with who is Korean/American, who the friendly Ghanaian girl gets along with; is because we come from a place where we are aware of the language thing, that people can simply change between languages to be more expressive etc etc.

·         However they did feel that I was incredibly observant. (which weirded me out, as it’s all very obvious)

·         We also talked about the way that the Ausies cant pronounce things, like the name Kofi which they continue to pronounce ‘coffee’ even though its pretty clear to all ears that this is not correct. Apparently when one is not exposed to other languages their tongues cannot fathom that things could be pronounced differently…

The people came back from their party, and we quickly stopped talking. Depressed, I drifted to sleep thoughtfully against the window on the journey home..

Highlights of the week as a whole included; the soccer match, males vs. females and the laughs it brought; getting what I called ‘the party room’, i.e the big cottage where eventually the friendlier of the other volunteers, both local and foreign would come chill in the interim periods; visiting the rural schools and and making the children, who had been so carefully caned and disciplined all their lives, go crazy for a day and teaching them about social activism and diversity (through a presentation on South Africa) and Times Square (the America’s presentation); being out of Accra and in the cool and beautiful Eastern Region was pretty legit too.

We came back to find our roommates, new light fittings, and a broken door handle on the toilet. Every night I am awoken by screaming from a housemate to let them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment