Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Gates

·        The Adventure
4 Hours later and not yet done
The Adventure was to be the trip to Cape Coast, the trip that our Director has been promising to take us on since our arrival. Finally, after 4 weeks of postponement; we were in the car and ready to leave. I fell promptly off to sleep (something I was to regret later), and was awoken 2 hours later as the car came to a stand still. And still in continued to stand… for another 6 hours. I’ll not bore you with the details of the broken engine cover incident (2 hours) or the replacing the battery process (2 hours) or the engine-starter-issue (3 hours, and the problem all along) or the other 5 individuals who came and went to help, and add feedback, and stand around peering into the bonnet, as men do. I tried this out for a while as well, it did make me feel like I was significantly contributing to the repair process until I got sunburned, and returned to my musings in the shade of the vehicle interior. As you’ve probably already got the point, I needn’t continue to mention the treacherous towing journey, or how the tow-truck, too, broke down, or how after arriving in Accra we got lost for a good 50 minutes at the wrong tro tro station.. Cape Coast will continue to be a myth, and aspiration, a mirage
The Obruni's and Ghanains at the wedding

·        The Matrimony


Vul'indlela wemamgobhozi  (Open the gates, Miss Gossip)
He unyana wam (My baby boy)

Helele uyashada namhlanje (Is getting married today)

Vulindlela- by Brenda Fassie

It reminded me of my Matric Dance and I avoided putting my dress on until the very last minute. When we were ready, three of us, in matching fabrics we awkwardly stood around taking pictures to send to family before walking up our road, ducking and dodging the comments from passerbys. Although, Obruni’s in matching traditional attire were no more out of place then those in your average shirts.  The only surprise people expressed was at my bare feet, but this I’m used to. We arrived and looked for the people with whom we’d find camouflage.

This was a traditional Muslim Wedding. In Ghana how the party works is that every person who gets to invite guests gets an amount of fabric, which they offer out, an invitation. Therefore, every group of people at the wedding is identified. The groom’s mother’s guests were extensive in number, 30,40 women decorated in greens and blues with competing headdresses, each ones bigger than the next. The groom’s friends, all young and beautiful men in flowing jalabiyas with shiny brown head coverings. We, along with my colleague who invited us, and all his equally extravagant gay friends were adorned in pinks and greens and sat with the friends of the bride’s mother. The wedding was massive, it took place in a square in town that I think usually funtions as a trade and transport centre, and inbetween the wedding happenings, the usual hawkers with plantain-chips on their heads walked by. The bride sits at one side and the groom at the other and then they are together to walk from the one side to the other, whilst all around them their adoring guests gather with iphones, and cameras and kisses and children to see the beautiful couple. And they were completely gorgeous. And if I thought the guests looked extravagant, the couple looked even more so, 10 times. For each of their walks they change into another amazing outfit, the number depending on their wealth. I reckon these guys were pretty wealthy because we’d left the wedding before they’d gotten close to their tenth. On my side however, it was a little disastrous. I ended up eating a whole load ’a meat hidden in my rice, when I returned to the table after a pee-break and found my housemates having eaten the plates with the plain rice… (This isn’t the first time here that I’ve carnivored it up, and each mishap results in 3 days of sickness). Also, my dress ripped a little when tripping over an elaborate woman on my way to the table, but sitting cautiously and draping my scarf casualty over my shoulder ensured that not too many people saw my ass. That is, until I got into the tro tro, at which point it proceeded to rip from the slit under the butt, all the way to the clasp at my back. That’s right, Fully. I covered myself in scarf, and missi

oned home, but it was the most uncomfortable I’ve been in my life. Obviously. My roommates didn’t seem to care either, or allow me to stop to buy cloth of some sort.

Looking good comes at a price, dahlin’.

·        The Power

We got off work nice an early because the power was off for the first few days of the week. It was great. Finally got a bit of time to sit, and do nothing, and BE, at home.

This is Sowah Unity Rasta. On the way home from some Live Regae
It was so relaxed that I even recruited a mission with my housemates to meet up with my Rasta (from the beach, and the Reggae night) a place called Bywells, an outdoor bar with a dance floor and a nook where live musicians play away the night. Thursday Night Live Jazz had many old school classics (we arrived to a jazzy ‘Lean on Me’) and watched aging expatriates, mixed Ghanaian/European middle-aged couples, a few student types, some hookers, and a few Ghanaian Rasta’s dance together. I even got up to dance with a Jamaican Jew to Brenda Fassie’s Vulindlela!

·        The Asylum

On the only day that I did real work in the office, I interviewed my client, the Liberian Refugee again. On my previous trip on his behalf (to the Refugee Board) I had learned of the holes in his application, how he had had not appealed his rejection of Refugee Status application, how he had not shown up to the interviews, how he had taken years before trying the processes. I was ready to meet a fellow who didn’t put enough effort into his appeal for Refugee Status in Ghana; however this was not the case. All the gaps turned out to be from lack of information, no way of knowing the procedures. It infuriates me how much people can screw with those without any status.

·        The Education

The last 2 days of the week were spent in the conference hall of the Coconut Grove Hotel, for a conference on the role of Community Organisations (NGO’s) in Education. That’s right, two days. It took a lot of time, me and my South African were by far the youngest people there. I learned a lot about NGO’s as a whole, but as Education is something I know very little about, the rest I struggled to remain focused in. However, despite my lack of knowledge, I noticed that I was no further behind any of the older folks in Group Discussions or Partner Discussions. I think I was just lucky enough to be in the weaker groups, but I was a little disappointed by the innovativeness (or lack thereof) in ideas there. But I was impressed with the power that NGO’s seem to have as a whole body. The theme of the day was how the government NEEDS the NGO’s in order to do their work properly, interesting perspective, and would be very inspirational, if I hadn’t been falling asleep..

·        The Additions

 We are one house-mate down, and 2 new additions. My Canadian homo bilingual law student, who was my favourite person with whom to have late night conversations and vent-sessions has departed for his own adventures. But we now have one more girl (I struggle to remember the time when it was just me and 3 burly men) who is an 18year old (the youngest in the house) Californian-Canadian, who reminds me of the Berkeley-ites of my past, with peroxide blond hair, a tattoo on her chest, and a face piercing. She’s cute and quite but also seems to have a big soul. The other morning, to my surprise I was awoken by a phone call to ‘Open the Gate!’. A new gay boy (what is it with Ghana, the homophobic Christian state and all these Western homo boys??). He’s of Japanese origins, but attends Brown University.
This Sunday was the first day since my arrival where we breached the conversation topic on Love Life
Bebesithi angeke ashade vul'indlela -- People said he would never get married but open the gates
Its crazy how after spending a month with some of these people we had all avoided the topic entirely.  I enjoyed the one on one interrogations but when it resulted in the usual debates about open relationships and human social programing, or long distances and the effectiveness thereof I floated in and out. We drank a lot of sweet box wine, and ate pasta which the New Yorkan Social Justice housemate cooked. It was interesting to learn of the rural Ohio doctor boy’s past loveless relationships, how the first person who said “I love you” to him was a man we’d met on the side of the road, who wanted money to buy ice cream. And of Brown, the Japanese kid who spoke for hours on what love feels like, even though we’d only met him two days ago. But I suppose, adventures bond people in amazing ways.

The 6 Headed Palm Tree

 

No comments:

Post a Comment