Monday, October 8, 2012

Wa Aleikum Ssalam from the other side of the Equator

As I write.. (always a good place to start when you don’t know where to start)

I’m sitting on the roof of the house we’re living in. Its in a village of 200 houses and its called Smayer. This roof is connected with 5 neighbours roofs, and everyone hangs their washing up here to dry in the hot hot Moroccan sun.

Neighbours rock up all day, and all planned activities of any importance stop in the name of hospitality. Luckily we have by now perfected (well..kinda) the simple dialogue of salaam aleikum- waaleikum ssalam-kif deyer(howa you)-bichor hamdullah(good thanks be to G-d) so we can participate in neighbour visits too.

We also know how to say things like “I’m full” and “wonderful breakfast”. The food here is incredible. A vegetarian’s paradise. Regardless, the others are craving meat but I am so very satisfied.

We eat bread made from wheat grown here on the farm and dried here on this roof. You can also hear the muezin’s calling from alkl the neighbouring villages. It makes me feel quite at home.

The one thing we struggle a little with was the ablutions. Even me. Ok, especially me. Despite my travel experience I remain quite a prude. But I’m trying ok. I mean, its not like I have a choice..

Our Host has prepare d us this whole program: its involves: Organic farming (making compost and planting beans and picking olives
Sustainable Ecological Development( which is what he calls picking up the litter in the river. There’s lots of it)
Cultural Exchange (learning to say ‘im full’ in Arabic and meeting locals (tea with neighbours)
Sport and Excersise (something like that. It means maying playing soccer with the boys and doin hikes)
Tourism and Travel Time

 

That’s the 5 pillars of our time here and its going marvellously. We have talked about everything under the sun; religion, homosexuality, language, dating, marriage, olives, soil, food, animals, family, tradition, babies, atheism, terrorism, stars….

The taboo subjects are all anrie and kays conversations with aziz and the marriage and babies ones are all our Host’s. I talk about the olives …

I have made best friends with Fatima (the baby) and her mom, Miriam who is my age. I thought Miriam and the mother(her and my Hosts’ mom, also called Fatima)  talked about me all the time in the kitchen before learning that Rowse is actually rice.

 We all have Arabic names. Mine is Zhor. it sounds like a warrior. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment