Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Local Police Station but very Little Else

Ghana Day 2

We didn’t hear from our director today and after breakfast and chilling all morning(watching TV with the girl who also uses the house during the day, and seems to do the cooking. She’s my age and has a passion for soap operas), we decided to go for a walk.

This time we went in the other direction and I got to take some photos…  Every second sign had some sort of religious connotation. God’s Grace Hair Design or Son of God Tire Repairs. We tried out Ghanaian delights, similar to vetkoek and purchased water in a bag when thirst got the better of us. I got another coconut. 2 hours later we returned to Avocado street but were stopped along the way by a man who greeted us, and identified us with the organisation. He told us our director was at the police station and that he had gone by the house to try to find us to tell us but we were out. He said he was going to go and bail him out. Turned out he had been in jail since last night because of a traffic violation. We went the rest of the way home, only to find a car and two men knocking on our gate. The young woman who works at our house let them, and we followed shortly after. They had also come about the fact that our guy was in jail, and they told us that the other man who was going to bail him out was busy and had to go and they needed us to either come in the car with them to go talk to him at the police station or to lend them the money to bail him out. At this stage I got a bit angry, I mean I hardly know the guy, and surely he has friends or family who he would usually turn to in these situation, we’re here for him and his program and so far we haven’t even been told what kind of work we will be doing or when we will start. And so I refused to go with them although my friend is far more trusting and willing, although he is a large male, which probably does make a person less suspicious. Anyways eventually the other girl agreed to go and talk to him and see what he wants, but she returned pretty quickly saying that someone else had called and said that they were gonna bail him out. And so we waited, for a good 4 hours. He has just come home, he’s alright, and he fixed the internet so I can post this. He said that I looked like I wanted to say something and I was like, no nothing. And then I was like ‘well, its just pretty hectic you know, walking down the street and someone coming and saying that you’ve  just been arrested.’ ‘But its fine now, it weas just pretty hectic you know’

He agrees that its fine now, tells me he’s fixed the internet, and asks me to lock up behind him as always. And so departs the only person we really know in Ghana, once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment