Wednesday, May 9, 2012

The Sun Still Sets East in the Northern Hemisphere

Part two took a long time in comming, but it was worth the wait. Begining Saturday morning we set out for Wadi Kelt, a hike up the wadi('dry' river/water body) in East Jerusalem, again Palastinian teritory and seemingly dangerous to Israelis. I thought it was pretty dangerous but only because I didnt have hiking shoes (what we call adventure boots) or enough water and am prone to falling (off cliffs, in this case). It started dramatically, where all the Well-Made-Plans flopped, and by the time we met up with our other party (our friends, and our friends friends) they were irritable and angry that we had fucked with their plans (to arrive at the wadi a good three hours earlier, without our group of snivelly teenagers <thats me and my peeps>). I, a strong and independant travelor graciously offered to travel in the car with the second group (the friends' friends (who will now be reffered to as FFs)) got out of the car minutes later bawling my eyes out and refusing to come along on this trip which I had somewhat planned in the first place. The FF's had spent the car ride bitching about how we'de ruined their trip, and I was stuck in their back seat with no witty answers. However, after a bit of diplomacy on behalf of the others, and an obligatory half hour ride to the Site, all was soon forgotten and we set off for the adventure. It involved strenous trekking in the most beautiful of desert landscape. I have fallen for the desert entirely. It is grounding in ways that the sea (my first love) hasnt even though of. And so we climbed, and pulled, and we drank (water every 15 minutes!)  and we breathed the dusty air into our panting lungs. The highlight <although not at the time> was the part where, after jumping and taking our shoes on and off we discovered that the trail led to a river between cliffs, and we had to emerge ourselves completely in water. Us normal-highted individuals were luckily enough to be accompanied by tall manly-men who could walk through (water over their their heads!) but be able to lift all our bags above their heads accross the deepest bits!). My sister had valiently kept her shoes dry the entire way through, but when she took over the bag, she pushed me over and I fell into shallow water, dropping her adventure boots...We were with real hikers (the FF's ofcourse) and so I became that person who slowed the process down. See my Desert-Hiking virginty was being taken, and let me tell, I have had no Experience whatsoever. I tripped and stumbled and begged for coffee breaks, I had the wrong shoes, the wrong backpack, and too little water. I felt like that kid who gets chosen last for the soccer team. However, towards the end of the 6 hour hike, I had figured out the System, and I was no longer lagging, and my feet had forgotten to hurt. Spirtual highlights incuded peeing in front of a thousand goats, and in a cave where the Monks had walked, and on a mountain with acres of the most spectacular view ahead... 6pm and we were dropped in Jerusalem, tired, satisfied ready for some coffee and shower. I ended up with nowhere to go but my Israeli friends bonfire party, another hour walk away and so it was midnight when I finnaly was able to pee in an actual lavatory...

The beginning of the week went pretty normally. Working hard, meals in Yavne, the average cycle of the working world. Things were crazy, but in unremarkable ways. My weekly meeting with a Shelter management volunteer brough about a plan for the long term vision of the organisation. It was just the two of us, me and this Israeli volunteer but we sat and wrote, and created and discussed. It was slow work, because we could hardly understand each other due to the language barrier, but after each google translate+ MS Word synonyms+guessing session, we bought much inspiration to each other. Planning a long term system is fun (especially as I'm not gonna be around to implement it...)

Tuesday after work we went to a Sudanese restaurant, where one of our translators works. We were taken by one of our Sudanese friends, but she left to go to a meeting and so we were given pita with our meal because the chef assumed we wouldnt like the legit indjura-type bread. After the others rushed off to their various appointments, me and the homie from the UK went out for coffee (well, beer) and talked about life, and love, and politics untill we were kicked out the bar and sent home.

Wednesday work ended early, and after a little coffee at our favourite spot (which we call 'the liberal cafe' or sometimes 'the lesbo cafe') we readied ourselves to walk to the Yom Ha Zikaron party. Israeli Indapendance Day, probably the biggest holiday in that little country. The nation went ape-shit with Blue and white and confetti, and paint, and glowsticks, and blow up gadgets, and music and dancing and much beer. And Fireworks! I went with my Brazillian American (the one who is present in practically all of these adventures) and my Frenchie, to a rooftop party near Rabin Square. We could see a 360degree view of all the fireworks of the city, I felt pretty existential and thus got drunk enough to speak fluent Zulu. It was fantastic to meet up with other people from my NGO. It makes one feel as if they belong, to go to a party and be one of the types who recognise people, kiss them on the cheek, be recognised in return. Its like, this is where we are and we're here to stay (even if it was only for another week in my case..). We walked to the street party, but before we got there we felt we needed to sleep. I crash, as always at my AmericanBrazilian's student lodging near my beloved bus station. I recall a political argument about refugees with a Mexican Jew before heading to sleep.

Thursday like in South Africa on Heritage Day, in Israel on Independance Day they have a braai, although they call it a mangal in Hebrew. After rock-climbing for the last time I chilled with my sister in the house of my crazy russian who's room we sometimes rent before going off to join my NGO homies (with our supply of vegetarian alternatives) for their Beach-braai. It was was first awkward, and then truly beautiful to just sit, and chill at the sea. The time came for the day to end, and me and my three incredible colleagues stood with out feet in the water, watching the sun set. Unified, yet each in their own little world...

No comments:

Post a Comment