Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Tentative Footsteps on the Hot Ghana Soil

Ghana Day1

Reawakening with a cold shower. Perspective widening too. In Ghana you don’t need hot showers anyways because the weather is so hot. Getting a good nights sleep(this first in ages) also tends to help.

Spent the day doing nothing, but in between that I exchanged my dollars for Cedis, purchased a Ghanain sim card (which is yet to work) and bought a coconut from the side of the street. You can chose your texture preference, I chose hard and my director chose soft. The coconut man cuts your coconut open at the top in a small circle (the circumference identical to that of the circle you make with your finger and your thumb in a display of ‘superb’). From that you stand and gulp down the coconut juice of your chosen coconut, along with all the other customers standing around the coconut man gulping down their juice. I could tell I was inexperienced because my director man gulped his before I had even started. The next step is to hand back your coconut to the coconut expert, who expertly slices them open in a series of quick chops and hands you back your fruit to eat. He cut mine out of the skin for me, and popped it in a little plastic, which I devoured once I got home.

Home is the place I’m going to be living for 2 months. The Volunteer House on Avocado Street. It is already feeling more homely now that its not just me here, and we cleaned the place up abit.

The highlight of the day was when my childhood friend arrived. I was just falling asleep when my director came in to tell me he was here. There was much hugging and smiling. I was happy. And then it was my turn to give him the tour of the house,(that’s how I know that its my home now). And then… a little bit more of doing nothing.

We went for a walk however, and got to begin to catchup on what our gap years had been, since we’d last seen each other. We walked and talked until it got dark and we couldn’t find out house, or even our street. However after much asking around, we finally found it, and hollered at the gate until the lady who works here let us it.

We had another meal, I got to experience Yams for the first time, and fish. It was very filling.

And then, a little bit more of just chilling, writing, talking, falling closer and closer to that state of mind we call sleep.

…My homie woke me and I peeled myself off the couch I had been dissolving into. Bed time. Night 2 in Ghana.

No comments:

Post a Comment