Sunday, May 27, 2012

We face neither East nor West

Builders, who train as acrobats in their free time. We caught them practicing.
This week has been a blur of lethargy, walking and a bit of drinking. Not quite what one would have expected from a human rights internship. In between the abovementioned activities my human rights activities included

1.       research into the LGBT issues in Ghana (this involved writing an article, internet research, discussion with my fellow roomies, and Ghanains alike, and the search for the homo hangouts in Accra.
2.       various life-crisis after research into the African Refugee Issues in Israel, where I found that since I’d left things have turned for the worse; violent protests plague the streets which I’d loved and worked in where Israeli citizens beat up and broke African immigrants in the surrounding neighbourhoods of my beloved bus station. I felt so bad about being away and so unproductive in comparison to my NGO friends who were working day and night in Israel. My response to the situation involved insomnia, constant research, and eventually a letter (which I sent to the president) entitled “For we were strangers in the Land of Egypt” about how Israel, designed as a place of refuge for the persecuted Jews- the Jewish people whom read twice in their Torah that it is their civil responsibility to take in the stranger; for they were strangers in Egypt and thereafter (thousands of years later) so were the Sudanese (who came to Israel because they were suffering racist attacks in Egypt, after having escaped from their own country).
The weekly routine involved my American housemate who is doing a medical internship, arriving home after a tiring day of work to cried from the rest of us of ‘what did you do/learn/eat/see today?!’ and he tells us all sorts of intriguing stories about working life in Ghana, the pharmacy and the medical system in an underdeveloped country. And the he asks us what we did. “Oh, the usual” he has learned to take as, sat around all day/gone for a walk…
A goat window-shopping for a TV set in our Neighborhood
But I never did tell you about these fascinating roommates of mine; after an incredible adventure for our first weekend, me and my South African co-worker/liver/roommate/friend came home (a good 5 hours later than expected, from a 12 hour non-stop journey from a place no more than 4 hours away) to the 2 new volunteers. It was very exciting, and they were looking forward to us as much as we were looking forward to them. The house in Avocado Street in the small country of Ghana is not a place for 2 foreigners, something we had discovered the week before.
The one is an American boy, aged 20 from the State of Ohio. He is doing the medical internship, has a real accent, plays a lot of sport, and is extremely good natured, right down to the sole. (the later we learned a good while after). The other is from Québec, Canada aged 19 but going into his second year of Law School. He is quirky and queer and is a humanitarian to the core, and doesn’t take any nonsense from people who don’t respect basic rights. He doesn’t like silence. The Ohio boy lives for it. Neither has been to Africa before. And then there is us, the 2 South Africans. Us three are on the Human Rights internship. We will begin work (for real this time) Tomorrow. My South African is very wise, although apparently unaware of some social situations, like awkwardness. He is well read, and together we are going through existential philosophy. He is an Africanist and has climbed mount Kenya. They are 3 big burly men, and one little me. I feel like a gang-bitch when I walk with them. I have never walked with 3 white men before. Now it is all I do.
The (first) weekend away differs dramatically from this last one (the ends of which I am living now, back in front of the fan after a day of touring the surrounding suburbs of Accra).
It involved waking up at 4am and stumbling out of the house to the bus station in Accra. There we found out that we couldn’t get a bus. Our Director took us then to another bus station. There, we could. He asked us to ensure that we put our seatbelts on and wished us goodluck. I think it meant that we were going at our own risk. The Highway from Accra to Kumasi is not paved in gold. It is not even paved in tar. In an effort to renovate it, the last government had dug it up, only to hand over power to the current president elect who hasn’t yet felt the need to tar the 4 lane dirt road highway. From my perch at the very back of the bus I could see the shiny heads of 30ish passengers jerk up, then left then right then hit the ceiling in one smooth synchronised motion. For 5 hours. Cars drove in all directions, and lanes were not reserved for people travelling a certain way. Swerving out of the way of a car coming head-on was not uncommon on the Accra-Kumasi ‘highway’. At our destination, we thanked God for a moment before pilling onto a Kumbi-taxi (which I will from here on out only call tro-tro’s) which took us a piece of the way towards our destination. The friend we were to meet had not send out instructions, or an end point or even confirmation of the plan. Our only hope was my trusty little guidebook. (on the way back to Accra me and the said friend spent the treacherous journey planning how to re-write the guide book, our sure way to success and fortune. The plan involved sticking in the misinforming flyers that kept leading us astray and circling the lies and providing alternatives. Simple, ingenious.) At each station we were hauled onto another tro-tro which ended up not to be going the entire way, and the process would start again. 10 hours later, we arrived. Hot, sweaty, confused and exhausted, I forgot my worried as soon as I looked up out the taxi’s dusty window at what we called ‘the lake’. Lake Bosumtwi, a massive circular body of water, surrounded by the most deliciously lush vegetation, and used by individual men on thin rafts for catching fish. The weekend was equally delicious; we swam for miles, talked for days, missioned to far out and terribly disappointing places, and laughed about the journey once safe in our lair. It was a good adventure, and hard to leave.
This weekend was not very similar. On Saturday I thought it time to explore alone. Solitude is a crazy organ in my life. I lived with it happily in the land of Israel and felt the pain it brings on my first night here alone, but perhaps I am missing it again. I feel like I’m married to 3 men, one cook, and a house on Avocado street. I got up to the main road, accomplished my errands, but felt the pull of coming back home, or atleast the centrifugal force of not having any clear objective, anywhere else to go, and came home. We spent the day reading, it was lovely. Today however we did a lot. Woke up early tro-tro’d along the coast, went for a visit to Kwame Nkruma’s mausoleum, where we saw pictures of the former Ghanaian revolutionary president with Kennedy, Castro, Selassie, and the British Queen. We then missioned around the town trying to find “Helena’s”, a little food-place behind an informal settlement and infront of the sea. I watched both waves and the people washing in their yards. A self-claimed tour guide picked up my friend the Canadian and before we could pull him away we were ALL swept into a tour of the “Palace of Jamestown” where I yelled at for walking into the wrong courtyard (I’d hoped to lose the ‘tour’) and scolded for shaking hands wrong (I didn’t use both hands) with the chiefs who anyways looked disgruntled to be forced into shaking my grubby hands.
But before I leave with Nkrumah’s words "we face neither East nor West; we face forward” I will tell you that its not all bad. My highlights of the week included sitting on the beach with the most beautiful Rasta man, who actually said things like ‘wan-luv mahn’ and taught me Twi and Ga (the languages of the region). He is so happy here, Ghana is his Zion and he would like to live no place else. Also great was sitting with wine and fresh fruit on our stoep (or terr-ass as the Canadian would say) with my housemates bonding and getting to know each other, getting deeper and deeper into our cores before drifting into sleepiness.
First day of volunteering tomorrow- Hopefully work here will bring me the joy that work in Israel did. Because I am struggling to not miss the freedom to spontaneously go to any city, and the busyness of my life, and the adventures to the north, south, east and west …and the people I adventured with.

No comments:

Post a Comment