Monday, February 20, 2012

Knots and Beurocracy

I think I'm getting dreadlocks. Not by choice, but I find them every now'n'again when I attempt to condition my hair. Maybe I should succumb to the congregations telling me to get them fo reals afterall, but then no one can ever run their hands through my hair.
The office was practically empty today because the skilled people were all off trying to save as many Sudanese as possible from being sent home. South Sudan (where Darfur is) has just won independance which makes goverments think its ok to deport EVERYONE, IMMIDIATLY to a country which has ...nothing. No food, no infrustructure or programmes in place. Sure, they're building it up, its hip hop happenin', but right now, people are starving, and if more and more people are dumped there simultaneously, life is going to be even shitter for them than it is now. Did you know that no one is considered a 'refugee' in Israel. Alot of their policy reminds me of South Africa actually, although the beurocracy is slightly more functional. Dont know yet if thats a good thing or a bad thing.
I've lately gotten very good at recognizing foreigners. It definatley because I am one in this country and the lost-and-confused look that I often catch on myself when I walk past the reflective surface of glass against a dark room is becomming easily identifyable. Today a Nigerian client needed to find the office and like I've said, communication over the phone is hardcore, whilst language barriers are less of an issue face-to-face. Eventually he asked me to come and get him because he couldn't understand my directions. After running out the office I realised I didnt know what he looked like, but after frantically searching through the crowds, the lost-and-confused expression was unmistakable.
I think I'm getting sick. I hope not. I had only just made a concious decision, as its now offcially my third week here,to make the most of everyday. Go out, tour, explore, experience, meet some frikken Israelis already. Also, I've been avoiding my need to be nurtured. But being sick isnt cool without nurture.
So its off to sleep now. I plated my hair to keep the dreads out of my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment