Sunday, February 19, 2012

Singing in the Sleet and other Social Sircles

I think I'm scared of teenagers. I prefer old people, preferably really-old. But Old-ish will do to. I stayed with my South African friend in her flat in Jerusalem. -The same place I stayed before but this time my sister wasn't there as only the people doing the community-building programme "Etgar" now resided there. And it seemed that I was an intrusion on this community that they were attempting to build. They seemed cool enough, but didnt offer me breakfast. (And by cool enough, I mean I suddenly realize just how strong my sister and friends are to cope with these programmes. Living by oneself and having to make ones own supper, friends, plans, is a breeze compared to surviving steriotypical teenagers!)

But, I dont have to. Much. Except when I need to see my South Africans. Which is often. I'm having withdrawl sypmtoms already.

But it wasnt ALL bad. Its always the most fullfilling to my empty soul to see my people on shnat.

Existential crisis of the night was whether to spend the 20shekels I had on beer or icecream or waffles. The compromise was to share a beer and a waffle. Sharing, we discoverd, was something we had missed very much, being alone. All four of us South African gap-year types in Israel are alone, each on her own mission/program. But we all reunited for Shabbat at that flat(the one full of teenagers).
This is the South Africans, reunited

****

 I’ve just gotten home from my best afternoon ever so far in Israel.

Definitely the most Israeli day I’ve had so far

I was woken at midday by people shouting “its snowing!”.

We rushed outside, but had missed the snow. But it was really good to be outside. In the ever unwanted sunshine.




Today we ordered coffee in Hebrew, and watched the Isralites around us looking for a place to go on the shoybas. We then set off to walk around, and wait for the snow. Met an Orthodox American, spoke about different branches of Judaism, open mindedness, culture. Rocked up at an Ethiopian wedding by following where the pumping music was coming from. But then left in a hurry because the “snow” had started! We twirled around in the sleet, stuck our tongues out, ate the crystals off each others hair and sleeves. The American, (who said ‘dawg’ and nu ‘yawk’) continued to walk around with us. We realized soon that he looked like that guy (Gene Kelly) from Singin’ in the Rain. So we sung singing in the rain. Soon we parted ways with him, but I took my Kazoo out and we then REALLY started jamming. And we jumped in puddles, and got our warm boots all wet. And took pretty pictures of the “snow”. And played in more puddles. We have since sung all our SA songs, Nkosi sikelele, Shosholoza, the click song, and some jew songs, Lo Yisa Goy and everything that goes with it. And then we headed home. A Perfect shabbath nu?

***

By the time I had finished writing that we were LATE (ok, we were simply running Africa Time) to meet the American to go with him to this area only accessible by foot where we planned to find a group of Hippy Jews who gathered for Seudah Shlishi, the Third Meal that jew-folk eat on shoybus, traditionally with some edumacation or discussion thrown in. As we had lost our guide, we wondered around, semi aimlessly until coming to be lost in a eerie suburb, only accessible by foot, swarming with religious Jews, and, we soon discovered, pothead students. We had found our place. But not the exact location. After picking up a few stragglers along the way (I have a thing for making friends with middle aged men…?) we all spent the rest of the Day of Rest seeking out the house of Rabbi Shlomo Somethingorother. Whilst we never did get our Third Meal, it was a day well spent. I completed it in a lovely, atmospheric bar which played old school music where I pretended to understand the little witticisms which the waiter shared with me, in Hebrew, and received complimentary Arak when a cute but clumsy acquaintance of mine spilled beer all over the table.

Market Machaneh Yehudah. Its Legit

No comments:

Post a Comment